Are you wondering how to decorate your small apartment to make it look more spacious than it actually is? Well, it is definitely possible! It is all about proper placement, prioritizing and some other tricks that will make your room look spacious.
In this article, we will discuss some ways to help you design and decorate your place with another goal in mind, which is to create a bigger appearance than the actual space available, making your room look spacious.
- Paint the ceiling – painting the ceiling is a good idea to make the room look bigger thus creating more space between the floor and the ceiling. The painted ceiling will draw eyes upwards making the room feel like bigger. This can be a problem if you are renting a house, but there are other ways of decorating while renting.
- Make use of light or neutral colors – using light and neutral colors in general could make the room cozier, lighter and cooler. It also reflects natural light rather than absorbs it.
- Pay attention to the floor –it is the same concept with painting the ceiling. Having your floor painted or “wallpapered” will create wider gap in between the ceiling. You may as well use some stripe designs on your floor to create illusion that it goes on forever.
- Move the furniture against the walls – if you have limited space in your room then be sure to push everything back against the walls. This will leave the center area free, which gives you significant amount of space.
- Remove unnecessary furniture – do not think about overdoing it with your furniture and displays. Be sure to buy necessary furniture only to avoid cluttering your small space.
- Use pleat curtains – the use of curtains in your room will make the atmosphere cooler and sophisticated. Buying pinch pleat curtains by Harris Scarfe adds an illusion of space because of its horizontal lines. This is perfect for small apartments with low ceiling.
- Buy multifunctional furniture – you need to be practical too. You do not have enough room for storage and furniture? Be sure to buy multifunctional furniture that serves multi-purpose.
- Use smaller furniture – you have small apartment then use smaller furniture to go with it.
- Mount everything on the wall – working on a limited space can be challenging but it is not impossible. Your walls will give you a lot of support that you need. Use the walls in your room to mount, stick, and hang everything. Do you have collection of books? Mount a bookshelf on your wall. You may do it with your bedside lamp too – mount it on the wall instead of using bedside table. Hang your art collection in your wall too making it look more presentable and at the same time allows you to waste no space in your room.
- Include a mirror in the room – the mirror technique never gets old. Including a mirror in your room will definitely create illusion of having more space in the area.
Your place may be small but that does not mean that you can’t make it look beautiful and presentable. The secret is out! Making your small room look spacious is indeed possible. Follow the tips above start improving your house.