Valentine’s Day is thought of as one of the most romantic holidays of the year. Did you know there were several facts that surround the holiday?
There have been many theories over the years regarding the origin of Valentine’s Day. However, it seems that the theory that has been the most popular is the one about Emperor Claudius II. The emperor did not want any of the single Roman men to get married when there was a war going on. There was a bishop, Bishop Valentine that totally disregarded the wishes of the emperor and performed marriage ceremonies during wartime. Since the emperor was less than happy, the bishop was put in jail and later executed. However, while in jail Valentine penned a note to the jailor’s daughter and signed it “from your Valentine”. And that seems to be where the origin of Valentine’s Day comes from.
Fun Valentine’s Day Facts
- When it comes to greeting cards, there are approximately one billion Valentine’s Day greeting cards that are exchanged on February 14th. This enormous number makes Valentine’s Day the second most popular holiday when it comes to greeting cards. Christmas is the number one greeting card holiday.
- People that have pets love their pets dearly and treat them just like a member of the family. Did you know that 3% of all pet owners will actually purchase a gift for their pet on Valentine’s Day?
- Valentine’s Day back in the Middle Ages was much different than it is today. Single men and women would put their names into a bowl and would draw names to determine who their Valentine would be. They would then take the name and attach it to their sleeves for seven days for everyone to see. It is believed that this is where the expression “wearing your heart on your sleeve” originated from.
- Believe it or not, teachers are the most common recipients of Valentine’s Day greeting cards. This is followed by wives, sweethearts, children, mothers and pets.
- It seems that Valentine’s Day is a popular day to propose to your loved one. There is an average of 220,000 marriage proposals each year on Valentine’s Day.
- Each year on Valentine’s Day, there are approximately 35 million boxes of chocolate that are given as gifts.
- Valentine’s Day is not just celebrated in the United States. In fact, it is celebrated in several areas including Mexico, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Denmark and Australia.
Looking for a few sweet treats for your sweety, then try these Valentine’s Day Salted Dark Almonds.
How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day?