Cooking Mama has left the comfort of her kitchen for a little outdoor fun and has become Camping Mama in this new Nintendo DS game Camping Mama Outdoor Adventures. The road to this game has been a rough one like the terrain of the outdoors. I was originally asked to preview this game in advance of it hitting the market. However when our game arrived we found that it would not work. In fact that reminds me I still need to return it. A few weeks later we received the nicest care package to go with our Camping Mama game. We received our own camping supplies, a back pack full of goodies that included a canteen, binoculars, utensils, and more. One problem…we still had no game. Thankfully we were well taken care of and our game finally arrived.
Honey was already a fan of the Cooking Mama series and enjoys her Cooking Mama 4 game. She was eager about Camping Mama because as much as Honey is a girly girly she loves the “boy thing too” not to say camping is for boys only but it is definitely more so then the Cooking Mama series. When the game came in as usual she pops it in and disappears for a while and emerges if she needs help. This time she did not emerge which means the game was easy enough for my 5 year old.
If this is your first time hearing of Camping (or Cooking) Mama let me give you a little back ground: Based on the best-selling Cooking Mama franchise that has sold more than 8 and a half million units in North America alone! Mama now has 8 skus on the shelf and has expanded across platforms from DS to Wii, iPhone and Facebook since the series’ first 2006 introduction.
What you will explore and accomplish during the game
- Explore the camp site and island as you play a mix of stylus-based cooking, crafting, treasure hunting, and action mini-games in the signature Mama format.
- Play through 38 levels with 100 brand new mini games as Mama’s son or daughter with either Mama or Papa on hand to provide guidance.
- Participate in activities including rock climbing, swinging on jungle vines, spelunking, rowing a boat, tree climbing, and more.
- Use items in mini-games to survive in the woods – craft a fishing pole to fish, sharpen knives and axes with stones you’ve collected, make a fire to cook shellfish you’ve caught, cook the eggs collected from captured chickens, set up your tent to sleep in, construct a net to catch butterflies, and much more!
- Experience nature in a variety of settings, such as the Forest, Mountains, and Seas in day, night, snow, and more!
- Find treasure that you can use in further adventures, or even to decorate your camp.
- Earn the highest achievement level by creating the rarest and strongest tools –
- Collect insects, fish, treasure, and more, then survey your collection in your scrap book. Aim to find everything!
- Shake trees and move rocks to access hard to reach areas that could be filled with treasure or more activities.
- Perfect mini-games you’ve unlocked in Challenge Mode
Our thoughts about this game is it is perfect for my daughters age level. The game revolves around mini-games which are just the right length to hold her attention yet allow her to feel like she accomplishes something when she wins. She has tried to play a few of my older sons games with him but if she has to do too much to get to a level or win a prize she loses interest fast.
With the Camping Mama the mini games allow you to win quickly and use those winnings to decorate your tent and other fun things that my daughter really enjoys. She is all about getting to the next level so for her this is perfect. This is not a game for either of my boys. My youngest son who is 11 doesn’t do the handheld games much unless they are sports related. My older son is all about the challenge. However he will sit and play this with Honey when he likes to spend time with her because it is at her level.
I nice feature of the game is the sharing feature in this game. You are able to share mini games with your friends which is a great way to get a group of girls all playing together which is hard to do when one is playing with the Nintendo DS.
Shibley Smiles Review Opinions:
Price: We rate the price of $29.99 at Amazon to be an average price for this game.
Quality: We rate the quality of Camping Mama Outdoors as average the graphics are inline with other Cooking Mama games. Not overly done but nice enough quality to enjoy the game.
Age Recommendation: We do recommend this game for children 5-9 that like to play a handful of mini games to level up and win prizes quickly.