January is a great month to make changes, work on goals, and generally start the year off so it’s even better than the last. As many as 45% of Americans say they make at least one New Year’s resolution each year. Generally losing weight or getting healthier as well as getting more organized are at the top of those lists. As few as 8% of people report that they actually stick with their resolutions though. This isn’t for lack of trying, but often due to lack of focus and clearly defining what it is you actually want to achieve. Don’t worry though, there are plenty of tips on how to follow through on your resolutions and reach your goals.
Tips on How to Stick to Your Resolutions:
- Pinpoint an exact goal that is realistic and within your means. It should be an area in your life that you want to see improvement and can be further refined. Most people say they want to lose weight or get healthy, but they don’t actually break it down into small attainable goals. Determine what your ultimate resolution is, then divide it into small steps that you are able to reach.
- Focus: If you’ve made multiple resolutions, focus on one aspect at a time. Once you achieve that portion, move onto the next step. Often when people try to undertake many changes or even a single radical change, they become discouraged with lack of immediate results. Laser beam yourself onto on goal and move on as you tackle it.
- Use positive reinforcement: Write yourself little sticky notes or reminders that you can and will achieve your goals. Find a mantra that reminds you of your progress and gives you motivation to continue your hard work. Rather than thinking of all the reasons why you don’t want to go to the gym, positively remind yourself how great you feel when you’re done.
- Remember there is strength in numbers: Write down your goals and tell everybody that will listen. Find people that are on the same path and support each other every step along the way. It’s so much easier to get to the gym or skip the donut shop when you have somebody else doing it too. Even reporting in to a friend can help with accountability.
- Use aids! There are apps for just about everything these days, such as those to help you track and monitor what you eat or when you exercise. If your resolutions are financially related, Discover has a ton of deals and special offers to help you save money and earn rewards. Some of these include rotating 5% CashBack bonus categories every quarter in 2015. From January through the month of March, cardmembers can sign up for 5% CashBack on gas and ground transportation. This would be perfect for those hoping to save money or travel more as their new year’s resolution. Discover Deals is an online shopping platform that allows CashBack to be deposited into your account, there are over 150 merchants! Speaking of shopping, Price Protection is a great way to know you’re getting the best price on your purchase. With the price protection program, if you see an item at a lower rate within 90 days, you get the difference!
- Reward yourself! Set fun rewards for achievements along the way to your ultimate goal. Maybe a new purse or haircut, a fun movie night with your spouse, or a special dessert you’ve been staying away from.
Have you made a resolution? If so, how are you doing with it?