You’ve read all the books, you have a stack of DVD’s sitting next to your DVD player, and you are preparing your menu for the new you. The you that is going to take charge and bring the health back to your food. If you are like me and you research, research, and do more research only to confuse yourself then take a breath and relax. The key to eating healthy is to change your old habits into new habits a little at a time (easier said then done I know). So lets start by switching out some of your sinfully sugar filled foods with some good alternatives. Not only are they good but they are SUPER, meaning they gave you more bang for your buck.
5 Super Foods
- Beans: Beans varieties vary in calories, black beans are one of the highest in calories and pinto beans are one of the lowest. However, regardless of calories, beans have many health and weight loss benefits. They are high in protein and fiber, both important components of healthy weight loss. Beans should always be eaten in the recommended portions for the best outcome as well as to be sure that you are not consuming too many calories from them at once.
- Avocados: One cup of avocados is right around 234 calories, this may seem a bit high, but there are plenty of benefits for weight loss from eating avocados to outweigh the high calories. More than two thirds of the calories in avocados come from their monounsaturated fats, which are better than the saturated fats in many foods. They also aid in nutrient absorption which in turn can help reduce hunger and improve weight loss.
- Salmon: Salmon has between 100 and 200 calories per 3oz. This varies by the variety of salmon as well as how it is cooked. Containing omega-3 fatty acids and a variety of vitamins, salmon and fish oil from salmon as well as other fish has been proven to be beneficial for many reasons including weight loss. It is one of the healthiest meats that you can add to any weight loss plan.
- Blueberries: One cup of blue berries contains just 85 calories, the perfect snack when you’re feeling hungry. They contain vitamin C, potassium, powerful antioxidants, and fiber. With no cholesterol, sodium or fat, adding blueberries to your weight loss plan can extensively help in reaching your goals.
- Broccoli: One cup of broccoli yields only 31 calories, talk about a low calorie food! It aids in feeling full without over eating, and contains high levels of fiber and believe it or not, water. Replacing high calorie foods in meals with broccoli, or using it as a side over other foods will improve weight loss tremendously.
What is your go to healthy food alternative?