Did you know it was National Preparedness Month? Just the word “prepared” sends me into a frenzy as I don’t really consider myself all that prepared for anything. I am forever forgetting things when we go on vacation and always seem to be one step behind or 5 minutes late. I know that all of this could be fixed if I just spent a little bit of time getting prepared.
The worse time to not be prepared is during an emergency or in severe weather. That is why Energizer has shared with me some great preparedness tips that I wanted to share with you. These are some great tips that I need to follow myself. In fact I think this would be a great resolution (no need to wait for New Years) to have.
Energizer Preparedness Month Tips
- Create a plan. Have a plan with your family for what to do before, during and after severe weather. Make sure to practice your plan so you are ready for any situation.
- Keep a portable light in every room: When power goes out, you don’t want to go digging through closets or drawers looking for that flashlight. Energizer portable lights ensure you’re ready for any situation:
- Weatheready®– Long lasting, practical solutions designed to keep you and your family safe during a weather emergency
- Fusion Flashlights and Lanterns – Compact and versatile, Energizer® Light Fusion Technology products are compact, water resistant and provide impressively bright long lasting light
- Headlights – Energizer’s powerful LED headlights are lightweight and versatile – perfect for keeping your hands free during an emergency situation
- Designate a place to seek shelter. Designate a meeting place for your family to take shelter. A basement or the smallest, most-interior room on the lowest floor is safest for severe weather and tornados. In the event of a tropical storm or hurricane, evacuate the area if instructed by local authorities.
- Make an emergency kit. Keep an emergency kit stocked with bottled water, canned food, copies of vital information, a first aid kit with prescriptions and an Energizer® Emergency Weather Station, which acts as a light, radio and charging station.
- Check social media for updates. Oftentimes communications can be limited during severe weather. Social media can give you the most up-to-date information from local government agencies and news outlets.
- Charge your devices. Make sure to charge cell phone and ensure that your radio and flashlight have fresh batteries. Energizer® MAX® with Power Seal Technology are long-lasting and are no leaks guaranteed.
- Stock your vehicle. Don’t be caught unaware in your car during a severe weather situation. Make sure to have an emergency kit with the essentials in your vehicle.
Reading through all of these great tips I can see that I have some major work to do. I know that I am constantly planning in my head, “What would I do if?” but I rarely share that with others. Not everyone is able to stay calm in a time of panic or an emergency situation so being prepared can go a long way in helping a bad situation bearable.
I know that during our move we checked our flashlights and not one of them was working I think purchasing some of the fusion flashlights and lanterns from Energizer would be a good start. Especially since we have experienced a loss of electricity living in a state sometimes plagued with Hurricanes.