Looking for an award winning healthy chili recipe? Just yesterday I won 2nd place with this recipe during a chili cook-off at work. This is the second time I’ve won 2nd. Yes next year it is going to be first with a few tweaks. Since it is chili weather right now I thought why not post it again for those that missed it.
This recipe is a modified recipe of a recipe I found in the The Biggest Loser: 6 Weeks to a Healthier You: Lose Weight and Get Healthy For Life! It is now my go to chili recipe, and each year has placed in our chili cook-off at work.
Award Winning Chili Recipe
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 pound lturkey sausage (I use Jennie-O Sweet)
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes ( I like to get the ones with jalapenos I love my chili spicy)
- 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 oz can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (I usually add a little more for good measure)
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Jalapenos (if desired)
- Coat frying pan with cooking spray.
- Cook onions over medium-high heat until soft or just starting to brown.
- Add ground turkey and/or sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Transfer into a dutch oven or crock pot (I like to use the crock pot and let it cook for a while).
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, broth, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and mustard powder.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.