The latest figures published by the American Association of Blood Banks show that 500,000 paternity tests are carried out annually by AABB certified laboratories. This figure clearly shows the extent to which paternity DNA testing is being used to confirm whether or not an alleged father is the biological father of a child. In this day and age, all other methods for determining paternity other than DNA testing are no longer used.
If you are thinking of having a paternity test carried out
Paternity testing is an easy and extremely reliable way of establishing the paternity of a child. The gnawing desire to know is understandable. But if you are considering doing such a test, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First and foremost consider the impact the results could have and how you will use these results. Are you just doing the test for peace of mind? Further to this, keep in mind the financial and emotional dimension of whatever may ensue.
How is a paternity test carried out?
Paternity testing is carried out by comparing the DNA of an alleged dad with that of the child whose paternity is being questioned. Of course, you will need to provide some type of DNA sample that can be analyzed. Depending on your situation and whether you want to directly involve the alleged father you can decide on the samples to use. If you are all ok with going ahead with the test (alleged father included), then you can order a DNA testing kit online and collect samples for the father and child using the oral swabs inside the sample collection kit provided (the vast majority of laboratories operate by means of this home sample collection kit). Rubbing these inside the mouth for around ten seconds and allowing them to dry for an hour is the perfect and easiest way of collecting a DNA sample.
If you cannot get a sample from the alleged dad or from the child using oral swabs, you have other samples to consider. DNA testing today can be carried out with anything from nails clippings to hairs, to blood stains and licked envelopes.
Whichever sample you use, your paternity test result will always be the same and either confirms the man tested is the biological father of the child or, on the other hand, that the man tested is not the biological father. If he is the biological father, a probability of paternity of 99.99% will be expressed in the result. If he is not, this probability will be 0%. More about your paternity test results can be found be visiting this page.
What about prenatal paternity testing?
You can confirm the paternity of a child even in pregnancy. This does take a bit more time and is rather more complicated. What complicates prenatal paternity testing is getting access to the child’s DNA sample. This is of course possible with the assistance of an obstetrician/gynecologist who can insert a needle through the cervix or the through the abdomen and into the womb to extract a sample of the baby’s DNA. There are two methods used:and chorionic villus sampling. As is clear from the fact that a needle is inserted, these procedures are invasive and also carry slight risks. The worst that can happen is a miscarriage. If you do decide to do a prenatal test you will be told all the risks and the exact procedure to follow. Once you have the samples from the baby you can then collect the sample from the alleged father in order for a laboratory to compare the two samples. The sample from the alleged father can be a simple oral swab.
Another option you may want to consider is non invasive prenatal paternity testing. You may not be able to find this test everywhere as it is quite recent. For this test, the expectant mother does not need to undergo amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling and the help of an OBGYN is not required. Non invasive testing for paternity is done using blood samples. Prenatal paternity test results for both invasive and non invasive methods are just the same as those of a normal paternity and show the same probabilities.