In the last couple of years our family has turned to painting our pumpkins, because it is easier for the kids, it last longer, and no mess to clean up afterwards. However this year I’m participating in a carving contest at work and I’m excited about finding a cool design and getting to work. One thing that drives me crazy is within a day after carving my pumpkin looks like it is on life support. So this year I took to google and searched out some tips on How to Preserve Your Carved Pumpkin.
- Wipe down the outside of your pumpkin using a damp cloth.
- Make solution 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the pumpkin inside and all cut areas of the pumpkin with the solution.(This will kill much of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting.)
- Let it dry for about 20 minutes
- Rub all of the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly (This will keep out new bacteria and molds as well as dramatically reduce the dehydration!)
- Wipe away excess with a paper towel!
- keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and try to keep it as cool as possible
Do you have any great pumpkin preserving tips?