With summer in full gear, many families are packing up to hit the road for a little fun in the sun. In fact, eight out of 10 Americans said they were planning to take a vacation this summer.
But before you get on the road, NAIC can help you make sure your car – and car insurance – is ready for the journey. Many travelers are unaware of what their car insurance policy actually covers.
According to an April 2011 NAIC survey, 40 percent of Americans incorrectly believe their car insurance will cover the replacement of personal items stolen from their vehicle and one-third of Americans believe their auto insurance automatically covers a rental car.
To help overcome these misconceptions, NAIC has five tips for a stress-free summer road trip. You’re probably an expert at planning travel games, packing snacks, organizing the driving route, and securing the perfect road trip music playlist, but don’t forget about the car. By following these recommendations, you’ll have time to focus on the more important things like getting your kids to behave in the backseat.
- Confirm your car insurance is active and premiums are up-to-date. Have a current copy of your insurance card in the car.
- Check to see if your policy includes roadside assistance. You can be covered for towing, fuel delivery, lockout service, jump-starts and more.
- If renting a car, check if your current policy includes coverage, and verify limitations with your agent. Some credit cards offer rental coverage, so check with your credit card company to determine if that is an option.
- If rental car coverage is not included in your policy, consider adding an insurance rider for a small fee or purchasing coverage from the rental car company. Make sure you don’t duplicate benefits from your existing auto, health or home insurance policy.
- Verify your homeowners or renters insurance covers the theft of personal items from a car, especially if you are planning to carry expensive items in your car such as golf clubs, video or digital cameras or laptops.
$50 Gas Card Giveaway
To enter to win: Tell me where you plan to travel this summer
* if you follow Shibley Smiles on Twitter – 1 each
* if you share this post on Facebook – (enter limit 1)
*if you leave a comment on a non-giveaway post -1 each (max 5 )* if you tweet this giveaway (leave link to tweet) – 1 daily
Enter to #win a $50 Gas Card #giveaway @shibleysmiles https://www.shibleysmiles.com/?p=6905
See Official Rules. Giveaway will end on August 13th at 11:59 pm EST. Open to US Only.
Thank you and Good Luck!
Disclaimer: I received similar product(s) at no cost to me by the company or representing PR agency. Giveaway prize is also sponsored by the company or representing PR agency. Opinions are my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. You may read more of my disclosure here.