The sun is shining, the kids are enjoying their summer break, and the strawberries are ready to be picked. I love a juicy red strawberry especially dipped in chocolate. So it is not surprising that adding strawberries to a favorite treat such as a cupcake would be a perfect pairing.
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
Frosting or not you can’t go wrong dusting your cupcakes with a little cinnamon and sugar. These strawberry cupcakes remind me of picking strawberries with my grandmother and baking in her kitchen.
- 1.25 Cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 Cup Wheat Flour (or use all all-purpose flour)
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp strawberry essence
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- ½ Cup butter, softened
- 2 Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup strawberries, pureed
- 2 tbsp milk
- If not frosting cupcakes, you can also combine 1 tbsp fine sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon powder and dust over the cupcakes.
- For Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Take all wet ingredients in an another wide bowl and whisk to combine evenly.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 3 batches and combine with gentle stroke after each addition until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter evenly into cupcake molds. Top each cupcakes with slice of strawberry.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350 °F or until cupcakes are done and springy to touch. Let them cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl or jar of stand mixer, beat soft butter until creamy. Add in confectioners' sugar, strawberries puree and milk and continue beating until nice and fluffy.
- Transfer frosting into piping bag and frost the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with slice of strawberry for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!