I try to cook at home as much as possible, but sometimes I cave in and order takeout. Chinese food is definitely one of my go-tos, followed by Indian and Korean BBQ. When I’m craving oriental taste and have the time to cook, I love whipping up one of my favorite orders—sweet and sour chicken. This dish brings together zesty flavors in a tangy sauce covering tender chicken, pineapple chunks and chopped peppers. Hope you enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 can pineapple chunks with ½ can reserved juice
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- Steamed white rice
- In a bowl, mix flour, vegetable oil, salt, pepper and egg. Stir to blend thoroughly until batter thickens (add water if too thin if too thick). Add chicken chunks, stir until well-coated.
- Combine water, light brown sugar, vinegar, chicken stock and reserved pineapple juice in a pan. Heat to boiling. Turn off heat. Add cornstarch while slowly stirring until mixture thickens. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken chunks in hot oil until golden. Remove chicken from pan to paper towels to soak excess oil.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sweet and sour sauce, chopped pepper and pineapple chunks. Mix well until well-coated.
- Prepare steamed white rice according to package directions. Add prepared white rice to serving bowls and top with sweet and sour chicken. Enjoy!